-->

Sunday, November 2, 2008

Whimsical Frozen Yogurt in Hacienda Heights

So after not liking Pinkberry the first time I tried it, I've really gotten myself knee-deep into the fro-yo craze. So when Whimsical in Hacienda Heights advertised its Grand Opening recently with a two for one coupon, you know I had to drag the kids there. Unfortunately, I dragged them towards the end of a very long day that consisted of church, lunch, birthday party, and dinner with visiting friends. More to come on the kids later.

My first impression of this place was that it was so very roomy. I was wondering why they needed so much empty space and why they didn't just put in more tables, but then again most of the tables were empty. Then I noticed that there was a guy serving gelato to some of the customers. I forgot that the advertisement had stated that they serve gelato here too in addition to the frozen yogurt. Not being a big fan of gelato, I dragged the kids towards the back where the yogurt machines were located.

I was disappointed at the selection of the yogurt flavors that were offered. There were ten flavors offered. I sampled the kahlua and didn't like it. There were no green tea or more exotic fruit flavored ones (my favorites). The kids got an orange flavored one and the strawberry. I didn't like those too much either. Hubby got the NYC cheesecake one, and again not too great for me. But I tried the tart and I'd have to say their tart is very yummy, better than Cherry On Top's tart. It tasted very much like the Vietnamese yogurt that I love. I just recently checked Whimsical's website and found that they rotate their yogurt flavors.

While C, and I were at the toppings bar, I heard hubby gasp and turned around to see that J had pulled the handle on the strawberry yogurt machine and that there was probably about two cups of the strawberry yogurt decorating the machine and the floor. Quickly hubby grabbed some tissue and scooped everything up and into the trash before the guys at the counter saw what happened. Otherwise we'd be paying for a lot of yogurt. By the way, the price was cheaper than Cherry On Top's at 30 cents an ounce.

The toppings were not as extensive as Cherry On Top's, and the fruits were not as fresh. They did have green mochi, but the mochi were a little hard for me. While we were still piling on the toppings, J started throwing a tantrum because he wanted his own yogurt. I quelled that tantrum in about half a minute and was quite proud of myself.

As we headed over to our table and sat down, I noticed this guy giving my kids and I a dirty look. He looked to be in his late twenties and immediately I was offended that someone that probably had no idea what it was like to deal with three tired and cranky kids would be judging me for having a three year old who threw a tantrum which I thought I did a pretty good job at handling. So immediately I aimed my camera at him and he immediately looked down at his laptop. I discovered I found a new use for my camera that night.

Anyways, Whimsical has a very good tart yogurt, but I wouldn't go out of my way to come here unless I have another coupon, which I do. Whimsical's website is offering a buy one get one free coupon per person if you sign up your email address, but there are very few locations. I hope the next time I go, there will be better yogurt flavors than what was offered this time around and an absense of humbug customers in the store.

This location of Whimsical is located at 1655 Azusa Ave. Suite G, Hacienda Heights, CA (626) 965-7878

3 comments:

Food For Tots said...

Wow! I really salute you for being so patient with 3 tired and cranky kids. We seldom plan for such a hectic schedule in a day as we are old now. Hahaha..!

Unknown said...

Wow! Your husband must have been very quick to clean up the mess. 30 cents per ounce is very cheap! Yogurtland charges the same...

shavedicesundays said...

food for tots, I do it all the time. Sometimes I just gotta get out of the house, even with cranky kids.

wsl98787, yeah he was quite fast. I've never tried Yogurtland but have heard lots about it.