-->

Thursday, February 19, 2009

Spicy Kumquat Chutney

My mom has a kumquat tree in her backyard that produces tremendous amounts of fruit, and since she doesn't eat them, she ends up giving them away. I came home with a huge bag of these beautiful fruits a few weeks ago and decided that instead of making my usual jam, I'd try something different and make some chutney. The process of making chutney is quite similar to making jam or marmalade, except that spices are usually added.

Ingredients (Makes about a cup):
40 kumquats
1 1/4 cup sugar
1 cup apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon coriander
water
chopped green peppers (optional)

Wash the kumquats and chop them, removing the seeds. This is the most time consuming part.

Place the kumquats in with just a bit of water to just cover the kumquats and bring to a boil. Turn the heat down to medium and continue cooking for 15 minutes, stirring every so often.

Now add in the vinegar, sugar, and coriander and bring back to a boil again. Turn the heat back down to medium and continue for another 30 minutes or so until the mixture has thickened. Make sure you keep stirring to prevent burning. You can then add in the chopped green peppers. Because of the kids, I left this out and added them individually to my serving.

10 comments:

Tangled Noodle said...

Great recipe! There was a kumquat tree in my sister's former home and she always had as much as she wanted. I've never really eaten them but I'd love to try them in this chutney.

DanielT said...

Nice recipe. Thanks for mentioning our restaurant Coconut Bay. I'm addicted to your blog. Keep up the good work.

Creative Classroom Core said...

Another great recipe! This looks very tasty :)
Love the name of your site, by the way :)

imjustatree said...

great pictures. we have a kumquat tree in our backyard, and i think making this would be fun...i've never used coriander before either.

Food For Tots said...

Kumquat is an expensive fruit over here. How I wish I am your mom's neighbour. Hehehe! Is chutney a side dish for your main course?

imjustatree said...

and btw...do you have any recs for viet sandwiches in the rowland/diamond bar area?

shavedicesundays said...

Tangled Noodle, I think there's not too many options when it comes to kumquats, so my mom always have too many left over.

Daniel, You're welcome! I didn't know you kept up with the blog, but I'm very flattered.

finsmom, thank you so much.

Sawyer, unfortunately the only Viet sandwich I tried around here is the Lee's Sandwich. Not many options. How sad. I just go to the Alhambra or Little Saigon for sandwiches.

Food for Tots, thanks for the lead in to my next post :) I wish you can come pick the rest of the kumquats from my mom's tree. She'd love that they don't go to waste.

Susan @ SGCC said...

What a great recipe! I planted a little kumquat tree about 6 months ago and I already have a nice little basket of fruit. I've been looking for something special to make with them and this is it! Lovely!

DanielT said...

Shaved Ice, I even have your blog as a favorite in my blog. here -> http://coconut-bay.blogspot.com/

shavedicesundays said...

StickyGooeyCreamyChewy, thanks for stopping by. Let me know how it came out for you, any critiques, etc.

DanielT, thanks for the add. I'm very honored that I'm on your faves list.